Fellesraad Centennial a Resounding Success!
The 100th anniversary of the founding of Norwegian-American Bygdelagenes Fellesraad was
celebrated on May 5 - 8, 2016 in Brooklyn Center, Minnesota.
Two venues, the Doubletree by Hilton Hotel and the Earle Brown Center, gave us ample space with convenient
access for all.
Over 500 people were registered to attend this event.
Programming highlights for May 5-8 included:
- 25 speakers during the conference. Look at the breaking news banner for more information.
- A proclamation by Governor Dayton making May 7, 2016 "Bygdelagenes Fellesraad Day in Minnesota"
- A large and festive Bunad parade.
- Recognition of descendants of lag founders.
- The display "New Land – New Life".
- A photo display from Norway.
- Over 30 vendors
- A full ballroom of displays from our bygdelag.
- A Norwegian Day camp for ages 6-18 on May 7.
- A wonderful dance performance by the Stoughton Dancers.
- Musicians entertain in the hallways between sessions.
- English and/or Norwegian services at Mindekirken (Norwegian Memorial Church) on Sunday
- A tour of Norway House.
- And lots, lots more!
- We are sorry if you missed it, and delighted if you came!
- Feedback from attendees has been outstandingly positive!
- We are looking forward to working along with you to grow bygdelag activity in the coming years.
NABF was established on November 17, 1916 as the national council for American Bygdelag.
From a translation of entries found in the 1929 year book come the following statements of purpose:
- To stand as a connecting link between bygdelag.
- To create a forum for the member groups where questions of mutual interest and meaning could be drafted by lag representatives.
- To be an advisory organization, to support and guide development of the lag movement and to influence its cultural activities.
- To manage cooperative projects for the good of all bygdelag.
For more information on the bygdelag movement and currently active "lags" in our area please see
the "Fellesraad Home Pages" link to the right above.